CHINOISERIE is a French word that means “in the Chinese taste”. It describes a European style of decorative ornament that was wildly popular in the 17th and 18th centuries. Modern-day interiors are also embracing a similar mixture of East and West, incorporating idyllic elements particularly favored in the Rococo period with bold colors, whimsical designs, and a splash of exotic with key motifs such as Chinese figures, pagodas and romantic flowers.
This one-day workshop includes a lecture at Insight School, followed by a store visit of LALA CURIO.
MORNING SESSION: Lecture by Eve Mercier at Insight School. In this lecture, you will:
- Explore the scenes of the Orient abound on textiles, wallpapers, pottery, porcelain, lacquered and painted furniture.
- See how iconic designers have used Chinoiserie in their design projects
- Discover inspirational ways to boost your home’s style IQ with key Chinoiserie decorative styles
AFTERNOON SESSION: Visit LALA CURIO in Wan Chai.
- LALA CURIO is a home decor brand specialising in reinventing lost craftsmanship for today. Their products range from their signature hand-painted and embroidered silk wallpaper, imperial Cloisonné tiles, crafted furnishings and decorative objects.
- Meet the LALA CURIO team and explore some of their recent interior design projects
- Explore a selection of crafted objects and curated theatrical interiors with materials and techniques culled from across cultures and across time, woven into unique creations and brought into the scene in everyday living.